Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Miss Representation - A Scary Reality Check Everyone Needs to See


A while back I heard about this documentary Miss Representation  written and directed by Jennifer Siebel Newsom. Her husband, Gavin Newsom (yeah, thatGavin), was on the radio and talked about this project that his wife was working on. It sounded interesting, so I set my DVR to find and record it. It’s been sitting there for months, and I finally got around to watching it today. Actually, I am watching it right now. Half way through and I am already fired up enough to grab my laptop and start ranting.

I know I’ve probably turned you off by using the word documentary, which usually makes people run screaming. But believe me, this is no stuffy boring academic tome. It’s a vivid look at the way women in our society have been treated by the news, movies, television, advertising, and our government. So essentially, how we treat ourselves and each other.

It should be pretty obvious from the things I read and talk about on this blog that I have some strong opinions about the way women are treated in our culture. As much as we say that things are “getting better” for women, anyone with a TV, internet connection, video game console, or movie ticket can see that women are still treated differently - sexualized, objectified, ridiculed –by the media.

Actually, hold on. I’ve always hated that term. Blanketly blaming “the media” always seemed like a cop out. I never thought of the media as some independent entity out there creating magazines and newspapers. We, the people that write and consume these stories make up the media. So when we blame the media for the way it treats women, really we are blaming ourselves as a culture and society for allowing it to happen. But after watching Miss Representation I am inclined to change my mind.

Using interviews with some of our culture’s most influential and powerful women; Katie Couric, Nancy Pelosi, Condoleezza Rice, Dianne Feinstein, to name a few, it gives us a look at the way women have had to overcome sexism in all facets of their lives. There are also some terrifying statistics that paint a picture of how the media sees and treats women.   Of how the men we elect to represent us often ignore the things that matter to woman. How advertisers cater to male tastes and desires, using women’s bodies to sell beer and cars. How news outlets focus more on female politician’s fashion than their politics.  And how young girls are growing up and learning that the most they should aspire to be is a pretty face on a reality show.

Before I get a barrage of “hey what about the guys?!” let me say that Miss Representation does address how the media affects our young men. The flip side of the message is that boys should be strong, should be masculine, should be successful and see themselves as failures if they do not live up to the stereotype. But, as much as I agree that they have it rough too, I would much rather grow up with the pressure of being the hero than the damsel in distress.

Miss Representation is a fascinating, if not somewhat depressing, reality check. I think anyone with daughters, nieces, sisters, students, should watch it. Should share it with the young girls and women they know. The only way we as a society can start working to make changes, is to understand what’s happening. So go find a screening –look here for info – or host one if you can. Buy the DVD and show it to every young girl, and boy, you know. Teachers, use it in your classrooms if you can.(And no, I don't work there, don't have a horse in this race, just think it's worth the time and money.)

Seriously, find a way to watch it. You’ll walk away with a whole new perspective of the world we live in.

No comments: