Thursday, June 7, 2012

Jeneration X - Jen Lancaster


I’ve never really been sure what generation I am a part of. I grew up hearing about “Generation X” but always felt too young to be a part of it. And now, when people talk about “Generation Y”, I feel way too old. According to most descriptions, I was born right on the edge, smack dab in the middle. I see parts of myself in both, but really don’t belong to either one. Story of my life, really.

None of this really matters in the grand scheme of things. I mean, it’s not like I am filling out job applications and selecting my generation along with my gender and ethnic background. But when you look at the world, it’s hard to ignore that there is a definite shift in how Gen X and Gen Y think. I mean, this girl? Obviously a Millennial.

You all know my now that I have an undying love for Jennifer Lancaster. So I’ve been anxiously watching out for her latest book, Jeneration X. I was a little scared going in though. See, as much as I love her funny and irreverent outlook, she’s also way more conservative, and a tab bit older, than I am. So when it comes to telling people how to be an adult, I was afraid we might have some major disagreements. I was afraid that I would go all Gen Y and tell her Gen X ass to get off her high horse and cut us some slack.

What I found out though, is that my friend who always tells me that I am not as liberal as I like to 
think I am, might have a point. Wrapped up in hilarious essays about the dangers of the skirted swimsuit, the terrifying reality of estate planning, the harsh mockery of the Wii Fit,  and one gross pool filled with dead tadpoles, Jeneration X is basically a call for all us 20-30somethings to get it together and grow the hell up.

According to Lancaster, being an adult is about knowing when to say screw it to your shit-tastic apartment to buy a house in the suburbs. About realizing that you can’t party like a 21 year old anymore, no matter how cool you still think you are. About being responsible for yourself and your actions, even if those actions include spying on your neighbors and seeing way more than you bargained for. And most importantly, about getting off your lazy ass and realizing that if you want something in this world – you have to actually work for it, not just pout and frown and wait for mommy and daddy or someone else to tell you you are special and hand you what you want.

Reading about Lancaster’s journey into adulthood, you can’t help but reflect on your own. At least I did. Watching her face her own milestones of adulthood, I couldn’t help but think of the ones I’ve hit so far, and the ones yet to come.  I might have not laughed as hard this time around – I mean, I love Jen and she cracks me up, but somehow this time I was a little less moved to uncontrollable laughter -  but I walked away feeling a little better about my own emerging adulthood.

No comments: