Thursday, June 14, 2012

Dead Ever After - Charlaine Harris


Sookie is back! I’ve been anxiously awaiting the newest, and what’s been said to be the last, Sookie Stackhouse novel, Dead Ever After. And it’s finally here!

Actually, as I write this, I am re-watching a repeat of this summer’s True Blood season premier, so the fact that I am a fan goes without saying. What else goes without saying is that by now, these two worlds barely have anything in common. Allan Ball and his writing staff may be inspired by Charlaine Harris, but they sure as hell don’t mind veering away from her story.

This veering actually makes reading the books a little disorienting. The whole time I have to keep reminding myself that the Tara in the book is nowhere near the Tara on TV, that Sookie and Bill have a very different relationship in the books than on TV, that Alcide is a very different kind of werewolf on TV than he is in the books, and a million other little, and big, differences.

Anyway. Dead Ever After picks up where the last book, Deadlocked, left off. I think. From what I remember. Sookie is living with her fairy uncle and cousin, still dating Eric, still working at Sam’s bar, and dealing with the aftermath of her latest traumatic adventure.

Honestly, a lot of this book felt a bit repetitive. Thankfully, there are some self-aware moments where Harris even points out how crazy Sookie’s life is and how she often she finds herself in crazy-ass dangerous situations. This time, she is solving yet another mystery – who killed a random dead girl – and what does it have to do with Sookie and all the supernatural… things that always want her dead. In the midst of all the who done it mystery, Sookie is also finally figuring out her love life. Not to spoil things, but I have to say that she finally saw the light and ended up with the right man.

If Dead Ever After is the last book, I am both sad and satisfied. Sad because I like these people and their world and have enjoyed the time I have spent in it. Satisfied because, as much as I love it, I also think it’s time for it to come to an end. Unlike some series that just go on and on and on, repeating themselves and often getting more and more ridiculous, I think it’s smart for Harris to go out on top.

So farewell Sookie, Bill, Eric, Alcide, Tara, Jason, and the entire Bon Temps gang. Thanks for all the crazy vampires and werewolves, fairies, and shifters. And thanks to you Mrs.Harris, for letting us into your crazy imagination.

No comments: